Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  23 members

World News
Alfonso

North Korean Cheerleaders

"North Korea’s squad of parka-wearing cheerleaders has grabbed early headlines at the PyeongChang Olympics as part of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s charm offensive

North and South Korean athletes marched under a unification flag during the Opening Ceremonies. Kim Yo Jong, Kim Jong Un’s sister, had lunch with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the executive Blue House. Kim Yo Jong invited Moon to visit North Korea after the Games."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/10/north-korea-sent-cheerleaders-to-the-olympics-heres-what-theyre-saying/?utm_term=.5b76f1625c49

Kim's sister did not look like a nice person. I saw her at the games. Well what do you expect? Anyway, the world knows about North Korea. They can cheer all they want. Everyone knows about their evil oppression of their own people.

The whole thing is definitely interesting to watch but I wonder if it will actually lead to any diplomatic relations between NK and SK that are relevant or helpful to the world or if this is just North Korea trying to build relationships without actually changing their behavior. I know that Trump thinks his strong words are forcing the North Koreans to "bend" and reach out to the south but there are so many other factors at play, and I'm pretty sure NK isn't giving up those nukes any time soon. This seems like their really socially awkward way of being like "LOOK guys, we have athletes and cheerleaders. Our country is just fine!" and ignoring the fact that they continue to antagonize.

I watched a clip of them at the Olympics. One of them cheered for someone they weren't supposed to, South Korea I believe, and another cheerleader told her to stop so she stopped and sat down. The whole thing was so mind boggling. 

• What are your thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.