Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  23 members

World News
Simon

Swedish prime minister criticizes Trump's tariff proposal while standing right next to Trump

Swedish prime minister, Stefan Löfven, criticizes US President Donald Trump's tariff proposal while standing right next to Trump at a press conference.

Sweden's prime minister takes a shot at Trump's tariffs while standing right next to Trump, Business Insider reports.

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven took issue with President Donald Trump's new tariffs on steel and aluminum during a press conference with the US president standing just a few feet away.

"Swedish prosperity is based on corporation competitiveness and free trade and I'm convinced that increased tariffs will hurt us all in the long run," Löfven said. "As a Swede, I of course support the efforts of the European Union to achieve trade with fewer obstacles and as few as possible."

Watch the video:

ThinkProgress has more on this: Swedish prime minister criticizes Trump’s tariff proposal right in front of him

During a joint news conference with President Trump on Tuesday, Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven criticized the U.S. president’s recent proposal to slap a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and a 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum, saying that they would hurt everyone “in the long run.”

“Sweden and the United States are two of the most innovative economies in the world and we see great opportunities ahead,” Lofven said. “Swedish prosperity is built on cooperation, competitiveness, and free trade. And I’m convinced that increased tariffs will hurt us all in the long run.”

Also this: Trump responded by saying tariffs would be imposed in a "loving, loving way." Say what!? :S

For his part, Trump argued on Tuesday that a trade war wouldn’t be “so bad,” adding that he would ensure the tariffs were implemented “in a very loving way.”

“We’re going to straighten it out,” he said. “And we’ll do it in a very loving way — a loving, loving way. [Other countries will] like us better and they will respect us much more.”

I'm just happy our prime minister didn't make a complete fool of himself. :P

Posted (edited)

I watched that and it seemed Lofven has a better understanding of the English language than Trump. Lofven sounded respectful, educated, and looked more sophisticated compared to Trump. Good job Mr. prime minister.

Edited by Sanjo

That's true @Sanjo but then again, most people would look smarter and more sophisticated next to Trump. ;) 

What's interesting though is that when the Swedish prime minister was asked what kind of similarities the two shared, Löfven said that "we both come from outside politics, into politics." But while Trump talks a lot about not being a rich elitist (like those other politicians), despite that his background and behavior clearly shows otherwise, the Swedish prime minister has a real "blue collar" background. Löfven has no university education and is a welder by background. He's a real working man that, as you said, looked and behaved more respectful, educated, and sophisticated compared to Trump. If Trump actually had any kind of self-awareness I bet he would be fuming after that meeting and press conference. ;)

• Like 1

• What are your thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.