Welcome to Redly, a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join groups, create events, and find new friends. Registration just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  22 members

'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli sentenced to seven years in prison

Martin Shkreli jailed: 'Pharma Bro' sentenced to seven years for fraud

Shkreli, convicted of securities fraud and conspiracy, sought leniency from the court after calling the trial a ‘witch-hunt.

In a packed Brooklyn courthouse on Friday, Martin Shkreli, the “Pharma Bro” who rose to international notoriety after increasing the price of a lifesaving drug 50-fold, was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Shkreli, 34, was convicted of two counts of securities fraud and a single count of conspiracy last August. He had dismissed the trial as “a silly witch-hunt perpetrated by self-serving prosecutors”.

But before his sentencing, Shkreli wrote to Judge Kiyo Matsumoto asking for leniency. “I was a fool. I should have known better,” he wrote.

Prosecutors had called for 15 years. The defense had pushed for 12 to 18 months.

In court a tearful Shkreli apologized: “I did not act appropriately.” He said that the government had not brought him down. “I took down Martin Shkreli,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/09/martin-shkreli-jail-sentence-how-long-pharma-bro-court-trial

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.