Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  23 members

World News
Simon

'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli sentenced to seven years in prison

Martin Shkreli jailed: 'Pharma Bro' sentenced to seven years for fraud

Shkreli, convicted of securities fraud and conspiracy, sought leniency from the court after calling the trial a ‘witch-hunt.

In a packed Brooklyn courthouse on Friday, Martin Shkreli, the “Pharma Bro” who rose to international notoriety after increasing the price of a lifesaving drug 50-fold, was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Shkreli, 34, was convicted of two counts of securities fraud and a single count of conspiracy last August. He had dismissed the trial as “a silly witch-hunt perpetrated by self-serving prosecutors”.

But before his sentencing, Shkreli wrote to Judge Kiyo Matsumoto asking for leniency. “I was a fool. I should have known better,” he wrote.

Prosecutors had called for 15 years. The defense had pushed for 12 to 18 months.

In court a tearful Shkreli apologized: “I did not act appropriately.” He said that the government had not brought him down. “I took down Martin Shkreli,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/09/martin-shkreli-jail-sentence-how-long-pharma-bro-court-trial

• What are your thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.