Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

ghg3

Air pollution is killing 1 million people and costing Chinese economy ...

ghg3

https://www.scmp.com › News › China › Science

Oct 2, 2018 - Air pollution from smog-inducing ozone and fine particles may be shaving an estimated 267 billion yuan (US$38 billion) off the Chinese ...

Simon

Were you trying to link to this article, @ghg3?

016718a6-c5fb-11e8-9907-be608544c5a1_ima
WWW.SCMP.COM

Two pollutants were found to cause an average 1.1 million premature deaths in the country each year and are destroying 20 million tonnes of rice, wheat, maize and soybean

Those numbers are obviously significant and just goes to show how costly - both in terms of economy and human life - it is to disregard environmental pollution.

Sanjo

How much of this is public and common knowledge in China? 

Simon
On 1/16/2019 at 12:32 AM, Sanjo said:

How much of this is public and common knowledge in China? 

I am no expert on China so I would love for someone else to chime in on this, but I would say that there is a high awareness about pollution in China, both in terms of its dangers and sources. In fact, we have seen more and more reports of massive environmental protests taking place in China against pollution and polluters lately. For example, see these two articles:

In an academic article by Fengshi Wu, published in 2013, the author notes that for the past 20 years there has been rising public environmental awareness in China with more and more Chinese citizens taking action against industrial pollution. And even better, according to the author, environmental activism and various NGOs have actually taken root in provincial and local politics across China and they are no longer only limited to major cities.

Not only are protests held by pollution victims across the country, but concerned citizens have also started to attend public consultation sessions related to major construction projects, and established non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to voice their disagreements with governmental decisions.

In fact, as this article and others have noted, the field of environment and climate is probably the strongest and most visible public movement in China today.

The environmental field arguably involves the most visible activist community, largest number of grassroots NGOs, and has the longest history of public policy advocacy across issue areas in the country.

I would certainly go as far as saying that more Chinese people are aware of the dangers and causes of climate change than the average American.

Sanjo

Thanks! That was interesting. But chinese people knowing more about climate change than americans? Hmm I dont know. 🤔

Edited by Sanjo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.