Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  23 members

World News
Simon

UN condemns Donald Trump's 'shithole countries' remark as racist

'There's no other word but racist': Trump faces global rebuke for remark

US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach, amid global shock over Trump calling African nations, Haiti and El Salvador ‘shitholes’.

Donald Trump has been branded a shocking and shameful racist after it was credibly reported he had described African nations, as well as Haiti and El Salvador as “shitholes” and questioned why so many of their citizens had ever been permitted to enter America.

US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach, amid global shock that such crude remarks could ever be made in a semi-public meeting by the president of America.

In a strongly-worded statement, the UN said it was impossible to describe his remarks as anything other than racist, while the Vatican decried Trump’s words as “particularly harsh and offensive”.

Read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/12/unkind-divisive-elitist-international-outcry-over-trumps-shithole-countries-remark

Trump's 'shithole' remarks spur international anger

International organisations including the UN and African Union, politicians and other Africans and Caribbeans are outraged over US President Donald Trump's latest racist remarks.

These are racist comments. He has said things like this before when he talked about Nigerians who won't go back to live in huts and he talked about Haitians who bring AIDS to the United States. These are all confirmations of what a lot of people have long suspected - that he harbours racism.

- Bill Schneider, Washington, DC-based political analyst

Read more here: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/01/trump-shithole-remarks-spur-international-anger-180112084723204.html

'Thanks, but no thanks' - Norwegians reject Trump's immigration offer

Many Norwegians rejected on Friday a suggestion by U.S. President Donald Trump that they would be more welcome to move to the United States than immigrants from “shithole countries” such as Haiti or African nations.

Read more here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-norway/thanks-but-no-thanks-norwegians-reject-trumps-immigration-offer-idUSKBN1F11QK

1 hour ago, Sanjo said:

What a shit show this is. I wonder when the impeachment will come.

Yeah, Trump have been extraordinary good in making a mess from day one.

Not fast enough, that's for sure. But let's not get our hopes up, an impeachment process is long and complicated, just look at the impeachment of Bill Clinton. And let's say Donald Trump was successfully impeached and resigned from office. Then Vice President Mike Pence (who holds just as racist and batshit crazy conservative ideas like Trump) will become President. And a Mike Pence presidency is probably much worse than Trump - because Mike Pence is actually a real and professional politician that knows what he's doing. I'd rather have the stupid clown that sucks at his job in office to tell you the truth.

Donald Trump leaves Martin Luther King event as reporters shout: 'Mr President, are you a racist?'

President facing widespread condemnation after allegedly calling Haiti and several African nations 's***holes'

Donald Trump walked out of a photo call to shouts of “Mr President, are you a racist?” from reporters, amid a growing storm over allegations he referred to Haiti and several African nations as “s***hole countries”.

[...] As Mr Trump got up to leave the room after the signing, several members of the press asked for him to comment on the allegations in the Washington Post that he had asked why the US should accept more immigrants from Haiti and “s***hole countries” in Africa, rather than nations like Norway.

One reporter asked: "Mr President, will you give an apology for the statement yesterday?", before another said: "Mr President, did you refer to African nations as s***holes?"

As the leader walked out of the room, another shouted: "Mr President, are you a racist?"

Read more here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-racist-shithole-martin-luther-king-event-white-house-a8156391.html

6 hours ago, Sanjo said:

It's good to see that the media isn't letting this story slip away.

Indeed, it's very heartening to see. Trump says a lot of racist, stupid and grotesque things but we cannot become custom to it, we cannot allow the normalization of his toxic rhetoric.

• Like 1

As well they should! This will do nothing.Personally I don't think he see's anything wrong with his statement. The world has always looked up to America for it's freedoms especially in democracy and human rights.We all need to agree that this era has come to an end. If the American people elected him , it means they don't care about these values and we need to look to other Countries for leadership. Maybe Europe and the European Union? Their track record seems to be quite good.

2 hours ago, jaymish said:

The world has always looked up to America for it's freedoms especially in democracy and human rights.We all need to agree that this era has come to an end.

Agreed. USA is an empire in decline. It's time we find a new beacon of democracy.

Trump included my home country Nepal in his shithole country list. I never liked Trump when he announced his intention to run for the President, however, after his remark, I am kind of hating Trump. For someone from "shithole country" hating or loving the US President does not make any sense, however, anyone with a rational mind can understand the reason for my hatred. Every year a couple of hundred people go to the US for higher education and sadly Trump is so angry about these students.

It really sucks that someone as big as the president would make such a childish and stupid comment, you would think that someone who has that much responsibility and power would say something that rude. I know that what he said wasn't extremely outrages, however when you have someone that runs a country with over 300 million people, he should have better standards than to call underdeveloped countries "shit holes" especially if children heard what he said, they could grow up to be hating of other countries where there is no food or clean water and become a racist. Maybe instead of calling other countries "shit holes" you could send money, clean water and supplies to help them develop and become a better country. 

Well, you would expect an entity like the UN to condemn these type of comments. To be fair, after reading the article, it seems like majority of these UN nations are African nations, fair enough but it's not a unanimous UN declaration by any means. I'm sure however that beyond those African nations, people around the world feel the same.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:07 PM, chameli said:

Trump included my home country Nepal in his shithole country list. I never liked Trump when he announced his intention to run for the President, however, after his remark, I am kind of hating Trump. For someone from "shithole country" hating or loving the US President does not make any sense, however, anyone with a rational mind can understand the reason for my hatred. Every year a couple of hundred people go to the US for higher education and sadly Trump is so angry about these students.

He's a huge hypocrite as well. He complained about unskilled workers coming to the US but being classified as "skilled workers" for doing useless jobs. One such person? His wife, who got a visa to come here and be a model. It's acceptable to him because she is attractive, white, and has had sex with him at least enough times to create the child. He moved Melania's parents to the US and apparently they haven't really learned to speak English so well (I read this in an article which claimed that Barron speaks two languages to be able to communicate with his grandparents) But he maligns immigrants from pretty much everywhere else as 'criminals' who cant assimilate and bring too many family members. Go figure....

On 2018-02-08 at 9:49 AM, daggy24 said:

His wife, who got a visa to come here and be a model.

I love it when they make a public appearance together because Melania seriously seems to despise Trump. ;)

It seems to me that Trump bases his views of a countries value or lack thereof, on its women. Whom he sees as a resource to plunder whenever he chooses or sees fit. He loves for example, most European countries... particular Eastern European countries because he's already been married to two women from those nations. Ivanna and now Melania. 

• What are your thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.