Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Simon

China will plant 6.6 million hectares of forest - an area roughly the size of Ireland - this year

China wants to green its image, improve its fragile ecology, and reduce desertification by increasing its forest cover to 23 percent by 2020. During the past five years, the Chinese government has spent $82 million on planting forests. And in 2018 China intends to plant 6.6 million hectares of forest – an area roughly the size of Ireland.

Telesur reports:

The new forest areas will be built in the northeast Hebei province, Qinghai province in the Tibetan Plateau, and in the Hunshandake Desert in Inner Mongolia. Last month, the environment ministry said 15 provinces had already drawn up plans, with the remaining 16 aiming to do so this year.

Following the United States withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement, China is angling to become more environmentally responsible and shed its long-held major polluter image.

The Chinese government has also improved its enforcement of existing environmental laws and protections and prioritized sanctioning companies are polluting or violating local and national environmental rules.The government has also issued a new national program that promotes an "ecological red line" that hopefully will help curb "irrational development" such as constructions near rivers, forests and national parks.

Reuters reports:

China, which has to feed a quarter of the global population using just 7 percent of the world’s arable land, has long struggled to strike a balance between industrial growth, maximizing food production and protecting its environment.

The government is currently promoting an “ecological red line” program which will force provinces and regions to restrict “irrational development” and curb construction near rivers, forests and national parks.

The environment ministry said last month that 15 provinces had already drawn up plans, with the remaining 16 aiming to do so this year, but it is not yet clear what impact the policy will have on the country’s farmland.

By 2035, China hopes to have achieved a 26 percent forest cover.

It's good that one of the bigger nations (in terms of land size, population, and economy) is taking steps toward reforestation. Hopefully, other countries also follow the trend, which will eventually trickle down to smaller nations as well. There have already been various efforts toward making the Earth greener again, and I just hope other people truly acknowledge that climate change, global warming are real scientific phenomenon that have been accelerated by people's actions and we need to take steps to reverse the damage that has been done. 

Thumbs up to china. I think it needs to do this! It's polluting way to much. I was in China about a year ago. The pollution is just too much. It's horrible. The cloud of smoke hanging over just needs to go. The Forrest will help with the air quality and the widespread respiratory disease. This will also act as an example to other countries like America that don't seem too sure about their environmental obligations. 

China? really? sad to say, I don't believe them.  Look what they've done in the corals and and some endangered species living in the west Phil. sea. they are not environmentalist for me.  But if it's true. good luck to them. 

3 hours ago, ion said:

China? really? sad to say, I don't believe them.  Look what they've done in the corals and and some endangered species living in the west Phil. sea. they are not environmentalist for me.  But if it's true. good luck to them. 

I think China is acting opportunistically. Do they genuinely care about the environment? No. But do they see that the US is taking a decidedly anti-environmental stance and know that they can enhance their trade relationships with our allies by suddenly becoming "environmentally friendly?" Most definitely. I have been concerned about China taking advantage of our situation since the election. That said, things like this are most definitely more symbolic than anything else, and mean nothing if China isn't ready to tackle their heinous pollution problem head-on.

Well, even if we say they're the ones responsible for most coral degradation along the sea line, we simply cant put the blame on their government considering the size of their population that they need and must find resources for their citizens. But this step their taking is one big kudos to them since it will help out, even for a bit, in the absorption  of CO2. Might they include those big ass CO2 sucking machines being used in Switzerland, it would definitely clear up the confusion of kids over there that the sky is blue and not gray.

Isn't it too late enough for them to show some concern about the nature? Chinese people are so greedy about making money regardless if it would compromise the nature, peoples health or the quality of products. All they think about is having profit and earning a lot. Now that they are experiencing the wrath of nature they must have now at least realized the consequence of their greediness.

It is good to know that China is exerting effort in saving the environment. I don’t think it is too late for them. Let us set aside all the hatred. We still have time and we can still save the environment hand in hand. I hope all countries would work together or maybe do the same. 

• Like 1

This is really a great improvement that the Chinese government is looking at embarking on for its country. Everyone is well aware of how productive and industrious China has become over the last couple of years and it definitely affected their ecological system. But with this new change of plans in getting more green and pasture into the country, it's certainly going to be a great help in making the country look good.

It's even going to offer some kind of employment opportunity for people in the agricultural industry/sector because they are definitely the ones to be tasked with the job of doing the planting of trees and grass etc and see to its management. 

21 hours ago, jaymish said:

I was in China about a year ago. The pollution is just too much. It's horrible. The cloud of smoke hanging over just needs to go.

Yeah, and in recent years there have been several big environmental protests in China. Just see the reactions to China's "Silent Spring" documentary. Environmental degradation and the growing public opinion against polluters and pollution is an issue that I think the Chinese government is slowly beginning to realize and act on.

13 hours ago, daggy24 said:

I think China is acting opportunistically. Do they genuinely care about the environment? No. But do they see that the US is taking a decidedly anti-environmental stance and know that they can enhance their trade relationships with our allies by suddenly becoming "environmentally friendly?" Most definitely.

Sure, this is a way to undermine the US reputation in the world. But this is also a matter of survival for the Chinese government. About 20 percent of the total land area in China is desert. And the deserts are growing rapidly and negatively affecting the lives of hundreds of millions of people and destroying important arable land. The government's efforts to stop the desertification hasn't made any real difference, and now the growing deserts pose a major political risk for the Chinese leaders.

12 hours ago, janleo said:

we simply cant put the blame on their government considering the size of their population that they need and must find resources for their citizens.

This is true, while China is the world's biggest polluter (since 2007-2008 when they overpassed the US) they still have low per capita levels of pollution compared to the USA. In fact, USA's per capita levels are around five to six times higher than China.

• Like 1

Well for me its a great move by China saving our environment. I know that China declared a state of national emergency due to pollution last 2014. Since then, they have campaigns on improving the health of our environment. Planting forest on a large scale will greatly improve our situation. But what about other countries? When i checked the list and ranks of countries that have the most polluted cities, China is only ranked #13.

https://www.worldblaze.in/top-12-most-polluted-cities-in-the-world/

I hope those countries included on the top contributors of pollution have their programs and initiatives to heal our environment after all its the only thing we have.

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons why they're doing this could also be connected to its economy since severe damage to the environment posed a serious threat to its economic growth. Air pollution in China could be linked to about one million premature deaths causing lost workforce. People are also leaving the country due to the so called "airpocalypse". Tourism is also affected which dropped sharply due to this smog.

But that's a great move by the Chinese government since they are in the top 30 most polluted countries in the world. I hope other countries will follow and clean up our environment and hopefully we can still save it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eila said:

Tourism is also affected which dropped sharply due to this smog.

Yeah, that's a good point, who wants to spend their vacation at a place where you have to breath harmful smog?

• Like 1

Here's a little update on this story! Asia Times reports that in order to accomplish this massive reforestation program, China is now re-assigning more than 60,000 troops from the People's Liberation Army, along with some of the nation's armed police force, to plant trees in the northeastern parts of the country.

I think this is a great idea! Pollution and deforestation is a national threat to China, so why shouldn't the military be involved in trying to stop this? I mean, it's not like you can kill climate change, pollution or deforestation with tanks and guns - so let them instead help with non-military tasks like planting trees. Really, more nations should involve their military forces in fighting climate change and environmental destruction because this is a real crisis we face, and the sooner we realize that the better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.