Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  23 members

World News
Simon

90 migrants feared dead after boat capsizes off Libya

90 migrants feared dead after boat capsizes off Libya

Most victims believed to be Pakistani, 3 people reported rescued.

An estimated 90 migrants are feared to have drowned off the coast of Libya after a smuggler's boat capsized early on Friday, leaving three known survivors and 10 bodies washed up on shore, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said.

Survivors told aid workers that most of the migrants on the boat were Pakistanis, who form a growing group heading to Italy from North Africa, IOM spokesperson Olivia Headon, speaking from Tunis, said at a news briefing in Geneva.

"They have given an estimate of 90 who drowned during the capsize, but we still have to verify the exact number of people who lost their lives during the tragedy," she said.

Read more here: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/migrants-dead-ship-sinks-libya-1.4516214

I think this migration route to Europe is the sadest tragedy of our time. I say this because these people migrate looking for a better life. The countries in Europe and the USA don't seem to understand this. Instead they continue to deal softly with their leaders and even give them money, yet they are the cause of this migration and loss of lives.Having lived in another country for a while, I know that the best place is home and people don't really want to migrate unless they are forced to. It's time we started holding our leaders responsible. If you can't give people the standard of living they deserve, you shouldn't be president.

• Like 1

War is such a nasty thing. I can not even imagine how those people must feel. I admire their courage and may god be kind for all of those who died fighting for their lives.  

Maybe there's an international syndicate behind that.  I think it's not just a normal migrants. maybe they're also a victims of human trafficking.  They take all the  risks for better life in other country. 

7 hours ago, jaymish said:

Having lived in another country for a while, I know that the best place is home and people don't really want to migrate unless they are forced to. It's time we started holding our leaders responsible. If you can't give people the standard of living they deserve, you shouldn't be president.

Agreed. I try to make this point to people who try to tell me that migrants/refugees are trying to 'take over' or 'invade' Europe. Most of these people would be happier to stay in their home countries, but it's not an option for them any more. Why would anyone want to leave their culture/religion and be displaced into a society where you are just not welcome at all? It's clearly an act of desperation. I wish more people would see that.

• Like 1

That is absolutely horrible. They are fleeing a dangerous situation into another dangerous situation. In some cases it may be better to stay with the devil you know, instead of the one you don't. It is a desperate situation and I am not sure what the answer is in these situations.

9 minutes ago, kgord said:

It is a desperate situation and I am not sure what the answer is in these situations.

The answer is solidarity with those people fleeing and solidarity with those poor people who are still stuck in the war-zone or living under severe economic hardships that we can't even imagine.

It's also worth remembering that many of these people are either fleeing from economic hardships caused by colonialism and/or bad international trade deals with the rich first world, or from internal conflicts made more severed by the West (and other imperial powers) propping up dictators and authoritarian regimes in the region (such as Syria, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia). Or they are fleeing from wars that the West and other imperial powers have been partly or fully responsible for. For example, we bombed Libya and removed Saddam but we failed to give enough long-term support for the rebuilding of society after the military intervention. And then there's the invasion and occupation of Iraq, the failure of the international community to deal with Syria, and on and on it goes.

• Like 1

This story is heartbreaking, but what else could they have done. They were trapped inside a third world country, they probably just wanted a better life for their children and themselves. It's really sad how first world countries deal with such small problems yet there are women and children dying everyday and being raped just because of where they live. It would be nice to see some sort of change done with immigration done in America where immigrants can easily come into the US, but instead they are pushed away and left to die.

This is a huge tragedy. Hopefully the Pakistani government too can find a way to improve services and create jobs for it's people so they don't have to risk their lives to just to live a decent life.

2 hours ago, Simon Leufstedt said:

The answer is solidarity with those people fleeing and solidarity with those poor people who are still stuck in the war-zone or living under severe economic hardships that we can't even imagine.

It's also worth remembering that many of these people are either fleeing from economic hardships caused by colonialism and/or bad international trade deals with the rich first world, or from internal conflicts made more severed by the West (and other imperial powers) propping up dictators and authoritarian regimes in the region (such as Syria, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia). Or they are fleeing from wars that the West and other imperial powers have been partly or fully responsible for. For example, we bombed Libya and removed Saddam but we failed to give enough long-term support for the rebuilding of society after the military intervention. And then there's the invasion and occupation of Iraq, the failure of the international community to deal with Syria, and on and on it goes.

True! Its almost as if the major players in the world don't have any say in this issue but they're actually the ones benefiting from it. Heck, the middle east countries, considering that they aren't being manipulated by external sources, they'd have been very rich a long time ago and there'd be no need for their citizens to be feeling from their countries. Lets not also forget the situation in Myanmar. It seems that these people have already been long forgotten sad to say.

• What are your thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.