Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to Redly

Redly is a friendly online community for leftists and progressives.

Sign up now to share news and updates on your timeline, join and create groups, write a blog, find upcoming events, and meet new friends.

Don't be a lurker, registration is free and just takes a few seconds.

Open Club  ·  22 members

Books

The best book

Everyone has a book that either change you life or for some reason is you favorite and you can´t stop reading...

In my case books are being part of my whole life... but when I was in a really difficult part of this one, I found "The elegance of the Hedgehog"... I simply love that book! ... is hard to explain why but it was one of the books that touch my heart in some many levels.

I am not sure it has changed my life, but the best book I think I ever read was Angela's Ashes. It was so moving. McCourt had a unique way of writing. The book had you laughing on one page and crying on the next. It was something else.

1 hour ago, kgord said:

I am not sure it has changed my life, but the best book I think I ever read was Angela's Ashes. It was so moving. McCourt had a unique way of writing. The book had you laughing on one page and crying on the next. It was something else.

Never heard from it... definitely will look into that one... I’m always looking for something like that to read 😊

It will be eye opening for you to read I am sure. I have read a lot in my life,,and I really think that book was the best one. The story was so gripping and the characters so touching. It was an amazing read. I didn't like the movie as much.

So far I think it would Purpose driven life. It would make you realize what the true purpose of your existence in this world. We all know that we are not here on earth for nothing. The problem is that most of us do not really know what our true purpose in life is. This book would definitely help you think and reflect why God created you and what your true purpose in life is.

There are two books that changed my life, the first one is The Bible, for obvious reasons, it's the best book ever.  I particularly like the Old Testament.

The second is a small book titled "How to Meditate" by Le Shan.  As the title says, it teaches the novice the steps as well as the benefits and dangers of meditation.  This book is banned in some countries. And I'm not recommending it to be read by the uninitiated.

The best book that I ever read is Book of Enoch. The Book of Enoch (also 1 Enoch;Ge'ez: መጽሐፈ ሄኖክ mets’iḥāfe hēnoki) is an ancient Jewish religious work, ascribed by tradition to Enoch, the great-grandfather of Noah, although modern scholars estimate the older sections (mainly in the Book of the Watchers) to date from about 300 BC, and the latest part (Book of Parables) probably to the first century BC.It is not part of the biblical canon as used by Jews, apart from Beta Israel. Most Christian denominations and traditions may accept the Books of Enoch as having some historical or theological interest, but they generally regard the Books of Enoch as non-canonical or non-inspired. It is regarded as canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, but not by any other Christian groups.It is wholly extant only in the Ge'ez language, with Aramaic fragments from the Dead Sea Scrolls and a few Greek and Latin fragments. For this and other reasons, the traditional Ethiopian belief is that the original language of the work was Ge'ez, whereas non-Ethiopian scholars tend to assert that it was first written in either Aramaic or Hebrew; Ephraim Isaac suggests that the Book of Enoch, like the Book of Daniel, was composed partially in Aramaic and partially in Hebrew. No Hebrew version is known to have survived. It is asserted in the book itself that its author was Enoch, before the Biblical Flood.Some of the authors of the New Testament were familiar with some of the content of the story.[4] A short section of 1 Enoch (1:9) is cited in the New Testament, Epistle of Jude, Jude 1:14–15, and is attributed there to "Enoch the Seventh from Adam" (1 En 60:8), although this section of 1 Enoch is a mid rash on Deuteronomy. Several copies of the earlier sections of 1 Enoch were preserved among the Dead Sea Scrolls.I found learned a lot from this book and it change the way I live. It is the keeps the very secrets of the bible from the time of Noah. If you want to read this book you can download the ebook here : http://scriptural-truth.com/images/BookOfEnoch.pdf  

images.jpg

For me, the best book that I've read so far was the Divergent trilogy. Every scene were very detailed compares to the movie. All are loaded with actions and lets you have a clearer imagination in mind. Everything were so on point and the plot was great.

For me i think that the best book that I've read is 'men are form mars, women are from Venus'. I was able to understand my partner more because of that book. It was really very informative. It tells me things that I really don't understand about men.

6 hours ago, lisadolor said:

For me, the best book that I've read so far was the Divergent trilogy. Every scene were very detailed compares to the movie. All are loaded with actions and lets you have a clearer imagination in mind. Everything were so on point and the plot was great.

I love that saga so much that I just watch the first movie because I felt that was so different... happen the same when I read the hunger games.

On 2018-02-08 at 10:12 PM, Kakashi2020 said:

There are two books that changed my life, the first one is The Bible, for obvious reasons, it's the best book ever.  I particularly like the Old Testament.

Why is the bible the best book, especially the Old Testament? I don't want to sidetrack the topic, but for me, it's a horrible book filled with horrific and gruesome mass murders, homophobia, misogyny, and so on.

To me the best book is A Walk To Remember. There are so many that I love but A Walk To Remember is a book that I make time for every year. I make it a point to read that book once a year. It's so similar yet so different from the movie. 

• What are your thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audience is coming from. To find out more, please read our Privacy Policy. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies.